Campervan Renovations: Part 2
Gutting The Interior Campervan Renovations: Part 2
Gutting The Interior

In an earlier post, I gave a pre-renovation tour of the campervan that we purchased for our honeymoon road-trip across Canada.  If you haven’t read that post, you might want to check it out first, for a better idea of what we started with.

In this post, I’ll be covering the gutting of the bedroom/dinette section of the campervan, in preparation for the addition of new insulation and updated wall paneling.

campervan_part2_1

Here is a reminder of what the dinette section looked like before we began renovating.  Two benches with a mounting point for the removable table leg.  The two benches pushed together to form a bed.  You tear the bed apart each morning to create a table, and tear the table apart each evening to create a bed.  What a hassle.

campervan_part2_2

With the bench cushions removed, you can see the simple framework and storage space.  We decided to remove this entire structure and design a smaller permanent bed that would leave enough room for a semi-permanent 2-person dinette.  This would remove the need for tearing everything apart each morning and evening.

campervan_part2_3

Another view of the bench/bed frame, from the rear door.

campervan_part2_4

The frames were so simply constructed that we were able to remove them in pretty short order.  We also removed the TV/VCR unit from the cabinet on the left.

campervan_part2_5

For the most part, the frames were connected to the floor using L-brackets.  We saved the brackets, screws, and other hardware so that we could re-purpose them wherever possible.

campervan_part2_6

Once the structural components were removed, we got to work pulling up the old carpet.  The less pink, the better.

campervan_part2_7

The majority of the carpeting was held down with surprisingly persistent staples.

campervan_part2_8

And there were thousands of them…

campervan_part2_9

The table mount-point was secured to the floor with a number of screws.  With it removed, you could really see the original “dusty rose” pink.  Gross.

campervan_part2_10

Under the carpet, there was a round disk of ply-wood where the table mount-point was attached.  It was held down with multiple screws and some sort of glue.  It took a lot of elbow grease to finally remove it.

campervan_part2_11

After finally removing all the carpeting as well as the ply-wood disk, poor Paula got stuck with the task of pulling out the hundreds of stubborn staples that remained in the floor.

campervan_part2_12

Next, we decided to remove the two cabinets above the wheel-wells, to give extra headroom for our future dinette.   Removing them was also necessary to get at the wall panels, which simply HAD to go.  The dusty rose mixed with over 20 years of grime just didn’t make for a comfortable bedroom.

campervan_part2_13

Inside the right cabinet, you can see that they were held up with more L-brackets.   Once again, this made for pretty quick work.

campervan_part2_14

It was incredible how much extra room there was, once it was gone.

campervan_part2_18

Next, we removed the rear and side panels on the right.

campervan_part2_17

This revealed some of the electrical wiring as well as the foam insulation used on the walls.   It also showed us how many gaps there were in the insulation, and many places for improvement.

In the next post, we’ll show the addition of new insulation and modern wall panels.

 

2 comments

  1. Jay says:

    Looks vantastic so far man!

  2. Pingback: Plant Life

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

You may use these HTML tags and attributes: <a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <cite> <code> <del datetime=""> <em> <i> <q cite=""> <strike> <strong>